Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Notes


In Sacrament meeting we sit in front on the side facing forward with the primary children in front of us in rows that are facing to the center. We keep a good eye on them, and today before the meeting started the group on one row took my music picture book out of my box and the 6 of them were huddled together softly singing  “Follow the Prophet”.  I was just dying to take a picture of them but it didn’t feel right to do in the chapel.  They really are so eager and innocent. I had to stop them when Fredrick got up to begin conducting.

I love those rascally children. This is Sister Mashishi last week teaching them.  Because she promised she would not do this to me again, I was surprised in Primary today to find her absent.  Yikes.  But by coincidence (of course not)  last night I thought maybe I would prepare the lesson in hopes that I could ask if I could teach today to give her an example of another way to present a lesson, using pictures, discussion, etc.  Thank goodness I spent that time and gathered the pictures and was ready to go. I hadn't prepared a sharing time, though, so we did a good deal of singing.

The children are presenting talks now (not like what we see at home, but they are excited to do it and I see some progress).  They are passing off their Articles of Faith (earning stars on their name tags), and singing like children possessed!  (Especially with Popcorn Popping, Follow the Prophet, and I’m So Glad When Daddy Comes Home!)  They love the activity songs, especially "On my head my hands I place." They are learning Christmas songs and today (because we had lots of time) after they sang everything they have ever learned plus some that they had never heard before,  I had them draw pictures of what they think about when they think of Christmas.  We played Christmas songs while they drew and one-by-one they came up to proudly show me what they had created.  Remember, this is senior primary – 8 to nearly 12 year olds.

There were pictures of Christmas trees with lights and presents all around.  Some showed snow falling.  I asked if they had Christmas trees in their houses.  They said no, and no one had ever seen snow.  One girl drew a fireplace with stockings hanging there.  I asked her if they hung stockings for Christmas.  She said no.    Of course there would be no fireplace either, and December is the hottest time of the year here. Some drew fireworks which they do for Christmas, quite a few drew Jesus and angels, one with angles blowing horns.  Mpho drew a great Jesus in his red robe.  When he showed me he apologized, pointing to the picture on the wall, saying, “I couldn’t do the rest of him.” You know the picture, showing only Christ’s face and shoulders- poor Mpho could only draw Jesus as far as his waist because there was nothing more to copy.  Almost everyone gave their pictures to me and I love them, but my greatest treasure was from Khanyisile who wrote a letter decorated with hearts and a colorful boarder:  “Dear Sister Wells, I love you more than words you can say and I wish you can stay here for long time you take us carefully that know one can be every care like you and teaching us about the Gospel you are the best teacher in here.  From Khanyisile.”  Now that one is worth framing!  I kissed her on the cheek and gave her a teary hug of thanks.

I wish I could follow their progress as they grow.  I hope they join the church and become like the Armies of Helaman that they sing about.  I hope they Choose The Right Way And Be Happy and keep trying to be like Jesus.  I hope they find worthy companions and marry in the temple and sing primary songs to their children as the church grows in Africa.  But how will I ever know? 

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Wow, what validation for everything you've done and are continuing to do for these children. Your question at the end kind of breaks my heart! I guess we can only pray right?

J Wells said...

you'll know when you go back for your second term.

Anita Wells said...

agree with jayne! maybe one of us will end up serving there in 20 years and can report back...

Stefanie said...

It's always that "passing of the baton" that is so painful, I think. Logically we know that our time in a certain calling, or even our time as a young parent will eventually end. But when our turn is over, there are such mixed emotions. If we hadn't loved so hard, it wouldn't hurt so much --but that's no way to live or die. So we'll keep on investing, keep on giving more than we thought we could, and then ache as we are released. Gratitude and sorrow at the end of an era. But in the process our hearts have been softened and more converted than ever. Ahh life!

jenniferthornton said...

The Church kind of makes the world a small place. I think you'll hear about certain ones of the children through the years. A few years ago a man I taught the gospel while I was serving in France was featured in the Church News. I was so happy he was still active. I hadn't heard from him since I left.