Sunday, October 18, 2009

Successful Primary Program


While you were all sleeping over there, the Tembisa Ward Primary children presented a most remarkable sacrament meeting presentation to the members of their ward. Elder Wells and I could not have been more proud of them. I gave out the parts the week before conference and by the time we met again most of them had them memorized. That may not sound remarkable to you, but most of the children are not members and we have no talks during primary so they really haven’t had much experience. We met for a practice yesterday, Saturday, and a few were missing, but still a good turnout. We had 19 speaking parts and only one or two, who I think may struggle with English or reading maybe, had a little trouble, but the others were confident and had their parts learned. There were a zillion details to think about without really anyone to counsel with (except my great companion) and it’s been a good challenge for the aging brain to put it all together. But today those beautiful children really pulled it off. The bishop and counselor over primary were very impressed with them, practically overwhelmed, in fact, and the children were pleased with themselves, too. The bishop told them that as he listened to them speak and sing he could see them as the future Bishops, Elders Quorum presidents, Relief Society presidents and leaders of the church. He would be an old man then listening to them then, and he would be glad. He was quite emotional and it was very sweet. Sadly, none of the primary presidency was there to see the children perform.

Primary time itself, however, was pure chaos. It was kind of like Halloween afternoon in an elementary school room. There were so many children in that tiny room and not enough chairs and Sister Mabasa who usually takes the little ones wasn’t there so we had them with us also. Elder Wells stayed with me and did a great story of Amalickiah and Moroni with props – a walking stick with a piece of sheet attached on which he had written Moroni’s title of liberty – he even used children as actors, but oh my, to keep their attention was something else.

We passed off a few articles of faith, did several action songs, even taught them popcorn popping. Finally I put my lesson plans aside and passed out paper and crayons and had them go at it. We took a break to take all 30 of them outside for a cookie, and a picture or two, then back in for a closing of sorts. I made each one a coloring book with pages telling what we had studied thus far this year, and enclosed a small bag of crayons as a thank you gift for their hard work which we gave out at end.

I am so pleased that due to the effort to put this program together we have also made great progress in learning their names and even managing to pronounce them relatively well. For the past couple of weeks Elder Wells has taken each child to the back of the room and snapped his/her picture holding a quickly written name tag while I was getting set up for primary. Every week there are new or different children so I now have seven laminated picture cards each showing 4 children that I can refer to. Today as I sat in front of them in the chapel I could actually silently name almost all of them. Amazing! In the beginning I could not remember their names from the time they told them to me till the next minute. The names were so foreign to my ear. But now I’m actually calling them by name during primary. (Of course the name tags hanging around their necks do help.)


I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to work so intensely with these wonderful children and come to love each one. I am greeted every week by 5 or 10 children who have already set up the chairs and who give me hugs and take my things and begin setting up the CD player and putting up pictures from my bag, and whatever else they can find to do to help me get ready for primary. They have learned the familiar things that we do to get ready and they want to be a part of it. Then we go to Sacrament meeting. They sit in front in the rows facing center, Elder Wells and I sit next to them in the first row facing forward looking at them. Generally two or three come to sit with us. It is a happy time.

Today two more children told me they will be baptized in November, and the missionaries told me that several more will be baptized on December 20th which will be our last day to attend the Tembisa ward. And the most special bonus of all, Matt will be there with us to be part of it. Wonderful!!!


This is my favorite ever picture so far. As soon as they see the camera come out they pose so last week I decided to put my face into the shot as well. Aren't we a happy bunch? You can see the picture cards I'm using to learn their names. Nyiko is next to me then Sesi (a young woman just there to help), Bennert is smiley in middle, Tabelo on left, then Morena, then Daniel on right. (These are some of the easier names!)

9 comments:

Anita Wells said...

hurray! that is a very happy report, and wonderful to see the fruits of your labors. your utah ward will seem so boring, how everyone shows up for their callings :-)

Stefanie said...

You know, the thing that I like best about this whole experience you're having in that ward, is that you just saw a need and began filling it. That's how the Good News of the Gospel and service is meant to happen. We are edified and strengthened in being determined to fill a need for someone else. When that magic happens -- that's when I feel true charity, and have a glimpse of what Christ hoped and knew we could feel by DOING.

Aren't you lucky to know how that feels? Very lucky IN DEED.

J Wells said...

i'm pleased, but not all too surprised, to see how much at your ease you are in your assignments. as ever, you have inserted yourself with such energy and dedication, it looks like you truly belong there. they are going to be so sad to see you go.

jenniferthornton said...

I would have LOVED to come see your great program. We went to the Tongan ward today because we wanted to see a primary program, but due to confusion on our part, the primary program is next week. Darn! I do love the primary programs. I just love that at least the older children in this primary have an idea of what primary should be so they can run a great primary program of their own someday. Good work!!

jenniferthornton said...

I would have LOVED to be there at your primary program today. We went to the Tongan ward here in Seattle today so we could attend a primary program. Apparently we were confused because the program isn't until next week. Darn. I think it's wonderful that the older children are getting a vision of what primary should be and it won't be long until they can organize their own great primary program. Way to go!! You'll be sorely missed, not only for what you do but mostly for your loving care.

Jayne said...

I'm so proud of you and those children. I know they will remember you and the feelings they've felt being taught by you in primary.
Ours is next week--any tips?

jay said...

This is so delightful, the faces, the service, the miracles and the real joy as evidenced in your report, the bishops remarks and the images captured. I so enjoy hearing your mission stories and feeling that spirit, please keep sending little doses of that "living water". mieka

jay said...

why does my comment publish as some random person everytime? Jay?
mieka

Carin said...

There is something magical about primary programs. No matter how chaotic the practice is, I've never seen a program in which the children didn't radiate the spirit of the gospel and touch the hearts of each member in the congregation. Congrats, Mom, on bringing about a successful spiritual experience for this ward. What a blessing for you and for them.