Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Change in the Bishopric

We were pleased today to have our Fredrick sustained as a counselor in the Tembisa Ward bishopric. The first counselor in his testimony said that Fredrick had been the missionary who converted him while serving as a missionary here in Johannesburg. He had attended Fredrick’s wedding and now was glad to be serving with him in the bishopric. Several others, including the bishop, spoke kind words supporting and sustaining Fredrick. Over the past months the ward clerk and the 2nd counselor have both been released and neither one replaced. Fredrick has been clerking, as well as serving as ward executive secretary. (And from our observation, just about everything else that needs to be done on any given Sunday.) He has been out of work since December, although has had part time temporary work with a member of our stake presidency this past month.

In his sweet testimony Fredrick said, “Sometimes when we feel we can’t do any more -- that our backs are against the wall and we feel like giving up -- Father in Heaven gives us even more. Others may think, ‘he is qualified for this calling. It is right for him to be given this calling since he was the executive secretary.’ But I only think of myself, that Heavenly Father needs to teach me more. This is just a change of responsibilities. Heavenly Father looks at the desires of our hearts in each calling. He only asks for a willing mind and a willing heart. . . . (He then testified of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the Church and the atonement of Christ ).
“. . . Heavenly Father knows each of us and what we go through. We are preparing ourselves to live with Him again. He is shaping and molding us to live in a celestial realm. As we live righteously the Lord will extend his hand and meet us half way. He knows and loves each one of us. . . .”

We were able to attend his setting apart and took some pictures afterwards. This is President Matsusso of the stake presidency, Fredrick and Olga Owour, Bishop Obed Nkambule, and the first counselor Brother Ungunta in front of Tembisa Ward, July 5, 2009.




Elder and Sister Wells with our favorite African son and his wife (our good Relief Society president) on this special day.

3 comments:

Anita Wells said...

Thanks for sharing the news! Frederick and his wife sound like pillars of the ward. Do they have children?
And are those African beads I spy around your neck?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! We are so interested in the affairs of Africa as we have only minimal contact with our girl in Cameroon. Have you been that far north? It is so fun to keep up with all of our friends from the MTC...we are serving very different missions, but the resulting joy is universal!
Love you!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Brother Wells,

I am sure you don't remember me but I used to work for you at BYU. I was not a very good secretary but I loved working there. I have always respected you and told my husband what a great man you were/are. Anyway, I have no idea how I found this blog, it was a mere accident but I'm glad I did. A mission! That is wonderful. I hope it is going well.

Adrianne (Clark) Richards