Friday, February 6, 2009

The Think System

We learned one day that there had been a piano in our apartment but when the former missionaries departed another couple (the Parks) moved the piano into their flat. The piano actually belongs in the Kempton’s legal apartment but since they don’t play they loan it out. I have been anxiously awaiting February when the Kemptons said that at the departure of the Parks the piano could be returned here. On Monday, Feb 2 (the day the Parks flew home), my good companion, Elder W., and a couple of the workers in the building moved this lovely Yamaha piano into a cozy spot in my living room.

The distribution center is closed on Monday but Tuesday morning I promptly purchased the keyboard course and spent the whole afternoon at home practicing! Oh my. Please tell every child you know never to quit taking piano lessons while they are young and capable. I fully intended to work on this the year before coming here but I am reminded once again that good intentions get you nowhere. Rusty isn't even a near description of where I am at this point.

In the Tembisa Ward where we attend there is no music played at all. Not even taped prelude music. The choristers stand, sing the first line alone, say “one, two” and everyone begins to sing. There is a keyboard sitting silently in the chapel and I have thought perhaps I could learn to play well enough to be able to even right hand the hymns. After this week I am not sure of that, but it is early yet. The problem is that I am so shy about it that I won’t play when the neighbors are at home and I can’t stay home every day to practice! (The soft pedal is a blessing, though, and I use it all the time.

The Kemptons leave in April and then the next legal couple will have this beautiful instrument sitting in their living room. That means I have only 2 months to work on my skills (?). In the meantime, the piano adds such a nice comfortable feeling to this room and I am very grateful to have it even for this short time.

Hey, do you think Harold Hill’s “Think System” will work for me? Maybe I’ll try it.

6 comments:

Anita Wells said...

Thanks for reminding us why we struggle on with these children and daily piano practicing! Keep up the good work! And pray for help--the "think system" of the Spirit bringing it all to remembrance.

Stefanie said...

Anita's right. If silly 19 year old boys can master a foreign language in 11-12 weeks, my capable mother can master the piano. Didn't Elder Nelson start working on this Forte in his 70's or something?

Think, Friend. Think.

Stefanie said...

You can do it Grandma!
If you practice at least 1 hour a day your guaranteed to be able to play the right hand


--Zach

jayne wells said...

Okay,
I didn't give up after 11 years. I'm still super rusty.
I'd like Zach to come over every day and watch my kids so I can put my hour in.

J Wells said...

i don't know about the think system, but i know of a video system that teaches arpeggios. you can play any song with cascading arpeggios and sound like a pro. in just a few short days, you could be playing songs like, "take me home, country road" by john denverm and "try to remember" from the hit musical, the fantastiks.

videos come with 13" TV/VCR combo that stays in the kitchen ever after.

Carin said...

Check out Grandma's growth mindset!

Good luck. I'll be using the think system on you from my back porch. I think you can. I think you can. I think you can.