Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Missionary Returns Safely Home

Just before Christmas we had a young Elder from the Durban mission who became very ill and was brought here and hospitalized in Johannesburg. It kept Elder Wells pretty busy for about 10 days going back and forth from the clinic and providing for his needs there (we had to buy him a toothbrush and other toiletries, towel and washcloth, do his laundry, etc.). We were so grateful to locate his older brother, a young returned missionary, and his wife who live in JoBurg and were great to visit him every day. They live in a suburb called Tembisa, about 45 minutes outside Johannesburg. They have no car so Elder Wells would give them taxi money, pick them up at the taxi station and take them to the clinic to visit and encourage their brother and return them to the taxi station.

Eventually we were able to get this young man safely home to Kenya on Dec 30. And as a bonus and blessing for us, because the elder could not travel alone, and rather than Elder Wells needing to accompany him, his brother Fredrick was able take him safely to his family in Kenya. Still, learning how to make all the financial and travel arrangements was a new challenge for us and it was a relief when we saw them off at the airport. This is Elder Owuor, his brother, Fredrick, wife, Olga (not her African name, which I can’t remember, pronounce or write) and us at the clinic one Sunday.


SUNDAY IN THE TEMBISA WARD

We have been attending the Tembisa Ward this month. Brother Fredrick is in the bishopric there and Sister Olga is the Relief Society president. When we met them they said, “Please make the Tembisa Ward your home ward.”

Today was the first day Brother Fred was in church since his return from taking Elder Owuor home to Kenya and he made an interesting comment in Sunday School. We were discussing the power of the Lord in our lives in answer to our prayers and he gave this example: “Say you have an interview and you don’t have money for transport so you kneel down and pray and then someone comes and he gives you the money so that you can go to the interview and be successful. This is a miracle that the Lord provides. So brothers and sisters lets walk in faith because miracles do happen.” But then he continued, “But your prayers must be righteous prayers. Compare to someone who prays for an expensive new car and he doesn’t even know how to drive or have a license. You are praying unrighteously and should not expect that miracle.”

I continue to be amazed at how little I understand of the simplicity of the lives these good people are living. They have so little, but they are prayerful and faithful and grateful for their blessings and believe completely in daily miracles.

The teacher in our combined meeting (a very young Elders Quorum president) commented that he liked to listen to the testimonies of those new in the church compared to those who are maybe 15 years old in the church because they are pure and simple and are full of gratitude. I had to smile. I like to listen to them too, but I also love to hear the old-timers at 15 years old in the church to recognize their depth of understanding and mastery of the scriptures and their solid commitment to the gospel.

At 60 + years in the church I feel I must listen and learn all I can from these African Saints, young or old. I have so much to learn and only 11 more months to do it in.

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

We've had Elder Ballard at our stake conference today and last night and I feel your comment about miracles along with what he said about making revelation part of every day life is has made me realize how much I need to be aware of God's influence and miracles and voice. Thanks so much.

jayne wells said...

(again, not jayne but her idle husband)

can't express how grateful i am that you are having these experiences. so much that you couldn't have seen, done or felt hiding up there on grandview hill. sometimes my gratitude turns to envy, then i have to repent.

Stefanie said...

Although London doesn't really count as a mission, there were things that I learned there about my relationship to God that I could not have learned another way.

I remember feeling so physically ill, and needing His peace desperately. I knew, however, that time was "flying" and that I would never again be 18 years old, having this kind of experience again. I wanted to soak up the "mighty change of heart" only possible through the tutoring of the Holy Ghost. And in retrospect, I can't remember the feeling of the physical pain, but I can remember the feeling of the periodic spiritual enlightenment. This is good stuff, Mom.

Deon said...

I love checking in on you through your blog. I am so glad you are having this wonderful experience. Your posts and the letters from the Thorntons inspire me and a lot of others in the ward.

We love you and wish you the best.
--Deon