Sunday, November 23, 2008

Treasures

On Thursday, November 20, Sister Parmley took 16 senior missionary sisters on an outing. She drove one 8 passenger van and Sister Cannon (from the MTC) drove another. We first visited the home of young man who is involved in textile export and sales but who has been "adopted" by sister Parmley and allows her to bring groups to his home and purchase his merchandise privately. Cash only. Elder Grandpa gave me 1000 Rand (about $100 at today’s exchange) and I assured him I had no intention of spending it. Somehow I gave up a good portion of that with the treasures I found there -- Cushions covers for my couch pillows, a little cloth for the coffee table, 2 or 3 little purses . . . .

Next we drove across town to the home of 2 artsy ladies who are sisters and who have a terrific shop in the back of their amazingly artsy home full of treasures heretofore unknown to me. Plus, the purpose of our visit was to hear one of them give a lecture on beads. Her bead knowledge and collection was vast and extremely interesting. She had antique beads from everywhere, precious stones and jewels, oh my! And the antiques and fascinating items from African countries on display and for sale in their shop were remarkable. And appealing. And irresistible. Although we were assured that there was no obligation to buy, everyone did. You would have too. Fortunately for all of us they did not require cash only so we were free to charge to our hearts desire on our American credit cards! So I came away with some treasures.


The beaded doll on the left is called a Namji doll from the country of Chad. It is a fertility doll. There were two but I chose the one with two heads giving the suggestion of twins. I will loan her out upon request. The little Zulu angel in the middle will adorn my Christmas tree. The necklace is a Maasai collar from Kenya.

Our flat was completely monochromatic and I just needed to find some RED to put somewhere so I bought these great pillow covers. There is a basket from Zimbabwe on the coffee table with a nice little African cloth for more color. But my favorite find of all is this great chicken! Besides that it looks so cool it has a real purpose.

It is from Yoruba, Nigeria and it is a "mouse divination box." Here's how it works. The tail comes off to reveal a hole where you put any sort of bones, rocks, teeth, etc.

Then you put a live mouse in on top and put the lid back on. The mouse runs around scrambling the items and then runs out a little hole and out the bottom. Then you take off the lid and read your fortune or the answer to your problem or whatever you are searching the answer for. Now, that is unique, don't you think?

Other treasures I have collected are dolls from Uganda, Mozambique, and Lesoto.

Some "refugees" from Mozambique,

A Poiki pot from our Medikwe game drive. They use cast iron ones to cook the meals in, very much like our dutch ovens.

These shells and starfish I picked up in Mozambique and on Mauritius on beaches of the Indian Ocean.

We also purchased a nice mirror the other day for the front area which we haven't hung yet but you can see how good it will look here.

All in all I am feeling better about the place because it has some warmth and color and that is always good. We will gather for Thanksgiving dinner next week on the lawn at the Area Presidency white house. And I found some boxes in the cupboard that say Christmas so soon I will put up a little tree and try to believe that this is the holiday season.

Then I will remember the best and most valuable treasures I have ever collected.

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

Hooray for Mom! We are soooo impressed! Look at you post pictures and write all kinds of cool stuff.

Those are definately treasures. And it is so you to always be busy making houses into homes. Everything looks great. That sure is a big family you've got there. It's amazing to see us like that and realize the number of people we've gathered.

Love you.

Eliza said...

What a wonderful blog! I'll add it to the family address list for all to enjoy. I love the treasures you've collected, both African and family-wise. And the apartment looks darling! Wish we could be there to visit your friends and look at the beads too. Keep up the good work!
Love,
Anita

jayne wells said...

What fantastic treasures! The blog is great! Nice work. Interesting you have that fertility doll there with you. I'm not so sure about you having children there--how are the hospitals? Oh well, you know best!

By the way, the chicken IS awesome! Love you!

Greg Wells said...

I love it. So excited you are getting going on this. Oh. you are on chat... I'm going to catch you there.

Carin said...

Mom, YOU DID IT! Beautiful entry. How delightful to see some of the culture you and Dad are enjoying. I don't know what more to say...ditto, ditto, ditto.